Past, present and future of the web

I did a little drawing today on the newly received book that arrived from Pedro and Patricia ( they even gave me an additional message)

but this is where I see the geeks right now… :

pastpresentandfutureofweb.jpg

So even though there is the “something is missing” right in front of us – I think there are signs all over that the web applications are going airborn – outside the web – and without a necessary web administration feature included.

the biggest signs I see is that the communities are slowly moving away from the web and becoming more mobile ( either via cell phones or 1st life installations)…

so what does this mean ? – more creativity and “in-your-face communication” – I think it’s wonderful!

Showing 6 comments
  • genevainformation

“The Web” as a medium might even disappear and be replaced by real-world physical devices. And their Impact will be much more powerful than the web browser is today.

The real change will come again with technology. Devices connecting “real-world” things to the net are becoming smaller and more available. IP Connectivity will receive a boost with IPV6 and all the mesh network blabla will probably make us to start spinning the matrix as a second layer of “real world” around us.

Hacking gets another dimension, as well. You can suddenly *really* break things.

• Henriette

I think that this change is allready graduately happening…. I think that the web might be disappearing, at least the way we know it now – well maybe not disapperaring but shaping into a new format – and become “expanded” into real life as the new key factor – instead of web 2.0

• Benjamin Stein

I’m not geeky enough to discuss this seriously. But: 1. life communication is not asynchronous! This particular feature makes online communities so easy, bringing more people together in interesting mixtures: no geographic limitations and no need to come together at a particular time at a particular physical place. So if you are calling the end of blogs and Web 2.0 – are you admitting that you are tired of this heavy asynchronous communication? – Second option: Geeks get bored at lightspeed. Gimme something neeew pualeaze….

• Henriette

Hi Benjamin. you have some good points. I wouldn’t call life communication asynchronous either. Im not getting tired of it – but for the geeks I would declare web 2.0 for passé… we have been hyped around it for a long time now and basically nobody at the tech conferences talked about it. Sure they talked about communities and social tools – but blogs and wiki’s as tools.. nope.

and geeks do get bored at lightspeed… that’s our biggest asset I would say!

• genevainformation

However – first we will see more and more businesses using what they will call web 2.0 but which will mainly be the adoption of open source (and unix) problem solving approaches in real life.
    Means: They will start to build things by getting building blocks (software or services) from “wherever” and glue them together to do “new” things. That is – for now, for businesses – already happening with google maps, as an easy example. They key will be integration (as it has always been) and it will become so much more important.

To say it provocately: Business will now pick up the crumbs of the geeks’ lunch.

• henriette weber andersen

@genevainformation – I think you’re right ! – they will put together whatever makes it work for them and frankly i don’t think they give a damn about the terms if they are not exactly using the term to promote themselves…