Should you “like” your own stuff on facebook?

Two days ago I got a lot of traffic on the “should you “like” your own stuff on facebook” sentence. I thought that it would be cool to elaborate a bit on it in a blogpost. So here goes:

My take on liking your own stuff on facebook is that it’s a big no no. It sends a desperation signal that I don’t want to align my identity with. I like to share stuff and I love to get shared, but Im not desperate.

Also if you’re the first who likes the shared stuff on facebook and not one of your peers, I would firmly believe that the likeliness of the content being liked by someone else is decreasing. It’s a personal thing and I can’t really tell what other people would do, only from my own perspective. To me liking your own stuff first on facebook, is like being the first to comment on a blogpost you wrote yourself.

Now that we’re at it, let’s talk about people who retweets when they are being retweeted. Sometimes if the retweet from a person adds something new to the discussion, I would retweet it to my network. I for sure wouldn’t do it as a religion and retweet everytime someone mentions me. I don’t see this a lot in the danish twitterstream, but it has occured from some of the profiles I follow.

so liking my own stuff on facebook, to me, is a no no.

Retweeting a retweet can happen, if it has added value to it and it brings something new to the table=)

7 Comments

1. Stephanie Booth March 3, 2011

I don’t normally like my own stuff on Facebook. Sometimes I do, though, but very rarely: when I’m really happy with something, or if it’s something particularly important I want to draw attention to. Maybe once or twice a week at the most (and probably weeks at a stretch without doing it).

As for retweeting people who mention me, I’d find that… in pretty bad taste. Retweeting retweets? Ugh…

2. Niels Christensen March 3, 2011

I’d have to disagree on this one, Henriette, at least the way I’ve seen it done in practice by my friends. In my experience, people “like” videos and links that they post, which does not imply desperation to me, just that they like the stuff they shared (as opposed to “see how dumb this person is”). I think that’s very different from a blog post, because the blog represents a significant amount your own thoughts and opinions, which the sharing of a video on FB does not.

3. Henriette March 3, 2011

@steph – well it’s worth a thought.. I simply try not to – I don’t like the message it’s sending.

@niels – well I guess that if you didn’t like it, then you wouldn’t be sharing it in the first place ? anyway I LOVE it when you disagree =)

4. Niels Christensen March 7, 2011

@Henriette: They do, actually. Every day my friends post links to something because they *dis*like it. Very often it will be a statement from a politician with which they disagree so much, they want to make all their friends aware of it. Pressing “Like” to your own post signifies that this post is not of that kind. I suppose :)

5. Alan Johns January 17, 2014

I love your posts Henriette, and I almost always find that we’re in agreement. But on this particular topic, not so much. I used to feel the same way you do about Liking your own posts, but the article linked to below opened my eyes. I found it after it went viral on Facebook a while back. Anyway, I hope you’ll check it out. I’m not saying you’ll change your mind, but I think you’ll understand after reading it that not everyone who Likes their own posts are even anywhere near desperate. Thanks again for sharing your insights with us! Cheers!

• Henriette January 19, 2014

Interesting Alan – I’ll look into it and maybe change a bit of the article. Thank you for loving my posts as well =)

6. […] to experts, it’s not a good look to be liking your own posts. According to Henriette Weber, the driving force behind Toothless Tiger and founder of Geek Girl Magazine, ”liking” […]